Adult Dependent Relative Visa

The Adult Dependent Relative visa category is for non-EEA adult dependent relatives of British citizens in the UK. The persons who settled in the UK, or persons in the UK with refugee leave or humanitarian protection status, who wish to settle here. To apply under this category, you must be outside the UK. Also, meet other eligibility requirements. If you are granted this visa you will be able to live permanently in the UK

You need to be able to show that, you need long-term care to do everyday personal and household tasks because of illness, disability, or your age. The care you need is not available or affordable in the country you live in. The person you’ll be joining in the UK will be able to support, accommodate and care for you without claiming public funds for at least 5 years.

In most of the cases, it is very difficult to show that you meet the relevant criteria. You need to show the family relationship between you and your sponsor. You also need to provide medical evidence or evidence from local authorities. Also, show that the care you need is not available or affordable in your country. The Adult Dependant Relative visa route is only available to applicants outside the UK. It is not possible to switch to this route from within the UK.

Eligibility for Adult Dependent Visa

-Whether you are a parent aged 18 years or over, grandparent, brother, or sister aged 18 years or over. Your son or daughter aged 18 years or over of a person who is in the UK. That person is over 18 and either a British citizen settled in the UK or a person with refugee leave or humanitarian protection status.
– As a result of age, illness, or disability, you require long-term personal care. That helps in performing everyday tasks. e.g. washing, dressing, and cooking.
– You are unable, even with the practical and financial help of your family member in the UK. To receive the required level of care in the country where you are living. Because it is not available and there is no person (close relative, home-help, housekeeper, nurse, carer, care or nursing home) in your country who can reasonably provide it, or because it is not affordable.
– You will adequately maintain, accommodate, and care for your family member in the UK, without recourse to public funds (if your family member is a British citizen or settled in the UK, they will be required to sign a 5-year undertaking to this effect).

Adult Dependent Relative Visa

Share This Story


Talk to our immigration expert to get consultation.
find out more


Talk to our family lawyer to get consultation.
find out more


Talk to our employment expert to get consultation.
find out more

Civil Litigation.

Talk to our civil litigation expert to get consultation and advice.
find out more


Talk to our conveyancing expert to get consultation.
find out more
Cropped image of business partners carrying briefcases on the foreground while their colleague standing on the background