The Unmarried Partner visa category is for long term partners of British citizens or persons settled in the UK, who wish to join or stay with their partner in the UK. You can also apply if your partner has refugee status or humanitarian protection in the UK. You can apply under this category even if your partner is outside the UK, but intending to return to the UK with you.
If you are able to show that you’ve been living together in a relationship for at least 2 years when you apply and meet other requirements you will be granted a visa for 30 to 33 months. After this, you’ll need to apply to extend your stay. 95% of Unmarried Partner visas are granted within 12 weeks, although there are alternative routes, should you require the visa to be processed faster.
– Your partner is British or holds Indefinite Leave to Remain.
– You are both over the age of 18.
– You have met in person and have lived together in a relationship akin to marriage or civil partnership for at least 2 years.
– Your relationship is genuine and you intend to live together permanently.
– Any previous relationships have broken down permanently.
– You will be adequately maintained in the UK without recourse to public funds.
– There is adequate accommodation for you and any dependents.
– You speak English to an A1 level.
– You can demonstrate that your partner or you jointly have a gross annual income of at least £18,600, with £3,800 additionally required for a first child and £2,400 additional for every further child.
– A Home Office application processing fee of £1,523 if making a new application, or £1,033 if switching from another visa category.